#1 30.07.2004 14:56

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

BLOG:CMS Donald Trump Edition - how to upgrade

Upgrade to Donald Trump v3.4:

* do a BACKUP of your current weblog
* copy over ALL files, except config.php
* if you are using fancy urls (like /item/this-is-a-title), copy files from /extra/fancyurls directory to your root directory
* run upgrade.php
* clear your browser's cache

You're done!

Important:

It is NOT recommended to use Admin Area of BLOG:CMS with obsolete Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0. It does NOT support even CSS 1.0, and Admin Area is using CSS 2.0, and later standards. Please do use real browsers like Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, or Safari.

This release ships by default with application/xhtml+xml! If you do not know what this means (it can possibly stop your blog displaying), please change DEFAULT skin type from 'application/xhtml+xml' to 'text/html' in skins settings.
You will find this on your quick menu on the left: BLOG:CMS Layout » Skins » Default > Edit » Content Type

Changelog:

* New plugin NP_HeaderNavigation for accesibility links.
* New plugin NP_CSSSignature for automatically assigning IDs to html tag.
* New plugin NP_CSSAdmin for style switching, per-user, for Admin Area, including 3 new Admin Area styles.
* Improved Comment Preview, and Comments, now tags PRE, STRONG, A, EM, Q, and CITE are allowed and correctly parsed for preview.
* Impoved SEO URLs, for both category and item URLs.
* Plugins NP_BlogWithOffset, NP_OffsetEntriesLink, NP_OffsetArticles, and  NP_PageLinkList reworked to support new SEO URLs.
* NP_CSS markup changes for better accesibility.
* NP_Poll markup changes for better accesibility.
* Default encoding changed to UTF-8.
* New plugin NP_Textile, wiith automatic de-textiling of articles which were written using textile.
* Completely new skins, templates, extraskins, CSS files, for better accesibility, and functionality.
* New JavaScript DOM comment highlighting (written by Aleto), compatible with both application/xhtml+xml and text/html.
* Updated CSS files.
* Improved markup for most comments (NP_MostKarma, NP_MostViewed, NP_LatestComments, NP_PDF, NP_CommentControl).
* Fixed NP_XMLTools export for partial RSS content.
* NP_CommentControl plugin now created full paragraphs for allowed comments.
* New options <%if(notincache)%> and <%if(xml)%>.
* Convert articles, comments, and categories from WordPress.
* Convert articles, comments, and categories from Movable Type.
* Convert articles, comments, and categories from EasyBlog.

--= BLOG:CMS developer =--

#2 03.08.2004 00:23

nontroppo
BLOG:CMS Senior
Website

Re: BLOG:CMS Donald Trump Edition - how to upgrade

Is Donald Trump available via CVS?

#3 03.08.2004 08:47

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

sure, just select "moose" module, it contains all the latest PHP code

#4 10.08.2004 20:49

nontroppo
Website

I installed Wackowiki in V3.5 some time ago, and had some problems BUT it was Beta - The NucleusWiki runs on V4 and looks to run fine, so it is not localized to Russian only! I found V3.5 a bit slow (anything was compared to Wakka), but probably V4 is faster. Importantly it has an auto table of contents (TOC)mechanism like docuwiki (important in docs).

I do REALLY like docuwiki - very small PHP code and very nice features, except for comments it'd be perfect...

http://wikka.jsnx.com/WikkaFeatures is another fork of Wakka, fairly well maintained and with Wakka's speed and hackability in its favour. It is possible to get a TOC via a plugin.

If it was my choice, I'd probably go for Wikka with a TOC plugin. But I would consider hacking docuwiki to add comments too!

But your needs/wants will be different than mine...

#5 11.08.2004 00:22

emarsh
Website

I want to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3.1. Do I have to go through all the steps listed above (unistall plugins, run MySQL script, etc.)to do this, or is there an easier way?

#6 11.08.2004 01:30

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

emarsh wrote:

I want to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3.1. Do I have to go through all the steps listed above (unistall plugins, run MySQL script, etc.)to do this, or is there an easier way?

not an easier way right now, you will have to spend 5 minutes doing that wink I am, however, working on automated script upgrades for 3.4 and further.

#7 11.08.2004 01:33

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

v3.3.2 has been released with changed default MIME type to application/xhtml+xml (still being sent as text/html to MSIE), and updated JavaScript (thank you, Aleto!) and skins to fully support this

#8 11.08.2004 03:55

emarsh
Website

Radek Hulán wrote:

emarsh wrote:

not an easier way right now, you will have to spend 5 minutes doing that wink I am, however, working on automated script upgrades for 3.4 and further.

cool. i realized after i posted that message how lame it was, as upgrading only takes like 5 minutes, but i can be lazy, and i had problems last time, most of which were my own stupid fault. thanks.  wink

#9 11.08.2004 11:07

xahmol

Radek,

I see in the changelog that you made changes to extraskins, styles, templates and CSS files in this upgrade.

I assume that these changes are improvements  wink and that it is recommended to use the new files in stead of my customised extraskins, styles, templates and CSS files.

Do you have any tips on shortcuts to modify these new templates, skins and CSS to incorporate the mods I have made to suit my site layout?

Also I was wondering if, to keep IE compatibility changing the default skin to text/html is the only thing I should do?

I totally agree with your opinion on IE, but still the reality for my website is that:
a) Over 80% of my visitors, not including search bots and myself, are using IE or are at least identifying themselves as IE;
b) I do regularly update my site from work. My employer uses IE 6, and nothing I can do will change that on short notice.

So compatibility of the site, but also the admin area with IE is quite important for me. Please warn if the admin area compatibility with IE is abolished, because in that case I will probably not upgrade and start looking for alternative blog tools (with pain in my heart, because I do really like Blog:CMS and very much appreciate your work done).

I go on a holiday tomorrow (two weeks to Cuba), so I will at least wait to upgrade to after coming back, no time for skin and template mods today  wink

#10 11.08.2004 11:13

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

re: MSIE compatibility - you do NOT have to modify skins to text/html, as even with application/xhtml+xml is old MSIE served text/html  wink Anyway, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and other real browsers are served application/xhml+xml, which means you cannot have one, single, unclosed tag in your articles, otherwise the processing will STOP. Most regular users shall NOT use XML, unless they can guarantee their articles are always well-formed. Regular   users shall change to text/html, so that those advanced browsers get HTML, not XML (I do use application/xhml+xml on my webzine, but it is not for everybody!) - a simple. 1 second, change in DEFAULT skin

re: skins design, they are greatly improved, clear your browsers cache and look at http://demo.blogcms.com

re: Admin Area - it works just fine in MSIE, as I said before, MSIE is always served text/html, just bear in mind that it may not be visually that attractive as in w3c compliant browsers

re: keeping your custom skins - I recommend you make a second install of BLOG:CMS, into the same database, using a table prefix, and compare new skins to your ones, and migrate any changes if needed (simple copy-and-paste job). Also, it is no compulsory to upgrade, if you think benefits of upgrading in your case do not offset work to be done, just do not upgrade wink

Board footer