BLOG:CMS :: Support Forum

Support Forum for BLOG:CMS

You are not logged in.

#1 18.11.2004 18:47

xahmol
BLOG:CMS Senior

Why Singapore and not, for example, Coppermine?

Radek,

Not that I would like sound complaining, but I was just curious why you choose to integrate Singapore as image gallery instead of Coppermine as I recall you planned initially.

I have just installed a trial install of version 3.5 to try 3.5 before starting the migration from 3.4.7 and noticed that the Singapore gallery is very very basic in options compared to Exhibition Engine I am using now and also the feature list of Coppermine.

While I really appreciate the ongoing improvements of Blog:CMS I probably will not migrate my galleries to the gallery part of Blog:CMS now, because Singapore is realy Spartan compared to the options of the gallery I am running now (check http://xandermol.com/albums to see what I mean, see http://photography-on-the.net/ee/beta/ for the latest version of the engine my albums are based on. Alas this engine is not GNU/GPL, so I can understand you can not integrate this one). And the ease of use and the extended options are more important to me than close integration with my weblog (which I should be able to do myself anyway if only I could find to do so).

I can understand you will not change to another source for the Blog:CMS gallery implementation just because of my preferences, but some insight in the good points of Singapore which I perhaps am missing would be nice ;-)

One other question: is there any benefit in upgrading from 3.4.7 to 3.5.1. when I will not be using the forum, gallery and wiki sections? Just to prevent doing lots of upgrading work without any real benefit.

Last edited by xahmol (18.11.2004 18:55)

#2 18.11.2004 19:11

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

Re: Why Singapore and not, for example, Coppermine?

xahmol, I am not 100% happy with Singapore. The major reason for selecting it was, that BLOG:CMS and PunBB forum support MySQL 4.0 (mysql), MySQL 4.1 (mysqli) and SQLite, but Coppermine is available only for MySQL 4.0.

Thus, I was looking for the best gallery that would be small, still powerful, and used plain text files, or all 3 databases, to be compatible with BLOG:CMS. And I have found nothing better than Singapore.

If you have a better idea, let me know, I am open to offering an alternative to Singapore.

--= BLOG:CMS developer =--

#3 18.11.2004 19:31

xahmol
BLOG:CMS Senior

OK, just curious, understand your reasons. Can not think of an alternative: only Coppermine would come to my mind as a really good package, but I did not know of the compatibility issues for other installs than MySQL 4.0. Only alternative I can think of is waiting for an upgraded compatible version of Coppermine.
Meanwhile I will stick to Exhibition Engine, only this one is no alternative as well as it is none GNU/GPL code.

#4 19.11.2004 00:09

hcgtv
BLOG:CMS PhD
Website

I'm setting up a site for a friend using Gallery 2, it's nice but it's alpha code still. Would provide a link but I don't think that DNS has propogated yet.

The only issue I have with gallery is that it's a huge app for inclusion but it works very well for standalone galleries. Same goes for Coppermine, I have yet to find a gallery app that has enough features but is lightweight.

The EE gallery looks nice, took a while for it to come out.

Last edited by hcgtv (19.11.2004 00:12)

#5 20.11.2004 00:37

VL
newbie...

I'm testing v 3.5 FINAL and I have problems with the photo gallery. When I click in it in the navigation bar it appears this error message:

Warning: singapore(includes/translator.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/transmon/public_html/diario/photo/includes/singapore.class.php on line 74

Fatal error: singapore(): Failed opening required 'includes/translator.class.php' (include_path='/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/lib/php') in /home/transmon/public_html/diario/photo/includes/singapore.class.php on line 74

I chmod as 777 and I don´t know where is the problem. Can yopu help me?

#6 20.11.2004 12:18

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

RTM (Read The Manual): http://blogcms.com/wiki/start

#7 20.11.2004 23:08

VL
newbie...

I did as you ask in RTM (Read The Manual), but this doesn't solve the problem.

#8 20.11.2004 23:15

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

VL wrote:

I did as you ask in RTM (Read The Manual), but this doesn't solve the problem.

you have to make certain directories writable, as described in installation manual (issue "chmod 777" command on them in FTP client):

http://blogcms.com/?item=installation-manual

#9 29.11.2004 02:40

topweb
newbie...

Radek Hulán wrote:

xahmol, I am not 100% happy with Singapore. The major reason for selecting it was, that BLOG:CMS and PunBB forum support MySQL 4.0 (mysql), MySQL 4.1 (mysqli) and SQLite, but Coppermine is available only for MySQL 4.0.

Thus, I was looking for the best gallery that would be small, still powerful, and used plain text files, or all 3 databases, to be compatible with BLOG:CMS. And I have found nothing better than Singapore.

If you have a better idea, let me know, I am open to offering an alternative to Singapore.

Would Exhibit Engine not largely work for you?  On their site http://photography-on-the.net/ee/ it states that it needs "MySQL 3.23 or greater".

What do you think of EE as a second plugin/alternative?

#10 29.11.2004 03:01

hcgtv
BLOG:CMS PhD
Website

Some of singapore's themes are based on EE.

I tried EE, didn't come away with a good feeling from it.

Too cumbersome for a simple gallery script.

Board footer