Support Forum for BLOG:CMS

You are not logged in.

#1 01.01.2006 00:57

JaceMan
BLOG:CMS Junior
Website

Remove Wike from Navigation

*sigh*

Apparently, I understand this even less than I thought I did.  I don't intend to use the wiki, so I would like to remove it -- but I don't want to simply delete the "wiki" folder, until I have removed the ability to navigate to it.

I thought I had it figured out -- but I was wrong.

I chose to edit the "header" portion of my skin and delete the "wiki" information.  I then chose to save the results.  When I reloaded my site, reference to wiki on the main page was gone.  I thought I was home free; but then I clicked on the forum navigation button, contact, news, and gallery -- much to my dismay the link back to the wiki was present in all of those sections.

How do I remove reference to the wiki from the header for all possible sections so that I can safely delete the wiki folder with my FTP client?

Believe me... once I feel more comfortable with what is going on here, I will do my best to be a helpful and active member of this community. smile

oink, oink

#2 01.01.2006 16:08

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

Re: Remove Wike from Navigation

There are 4 major components under BLOG:CMS, all with common CSS files, but with 4 different templates.

You have to modify:

1. BLOG:CMS Weblog under Admin Area / ExtraSkin / header (you did this)
2. PunBB Forum component under /forum/include/template/*.tpl
3. Singapore Photo Gallery under /photo/templates/(admin_)default/header.tpl.php
4. Wiki header under /wiki/includes/topheader.html

Hope this helps :-) In upcomming version, all components will share header template, not only CSS files, as your "problem" is a very typical one.

--= BLOG:CMS developer =--

#3 01.01.2006 18:14

JaceMan
Website

Thanks for your help Radek...  it is greatly appreciated, and once I have this thing set up properly, I will be making a small donation (unfortunatley SMALL is all I can afford).  Anyway...

A quick question if you don't mind...

Since, I am wanting to get rid of the Wiki altogether, why would I need to edit the Wiki header under /wiki/includes/topheader.html?  Wouldn't it be best to just leave it alone or delete the /wiki/ folder?  If not, could you enlighten me a little...  I'm a little cornfused.

Thanks again!

oink, oink

#4 01.01.2006 19:08

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

yes, in your case, delete /wiki/ folder. I just wanted the answer to be complete, if somebody will not need, e.g., forum, but will want to keep wiki.

#5 01.01.2006 21:36

JaceMan
Website

Gotcha!  Thanks Radek... My customization has begun!  wink

oink, oink

#6 06.01.2006 17:36

JaceMan
Website

Radek Hulán wrote:

1. BLOG:CMS Weblog under Admin Area / ExtraSkin / header (you did this)

Radek,

I would like to make my main header a 2 column table... column one my site's main image, and in column two I would like to make a "Featured Product" image and link to an item in a shop I have.

A)  Can this be easily done?  That is to say can I build my HTML table code, and simply copy and paste it into the ExtraSin/header of my Admin control panel?  If so, I'm assuming the area of code I need to modify is...

<!-- blog name -->

Is that right?

B)  Where is the file I edit in my directory structure offline or is it mandatory that I modify this header through the Admin control panel?  Hopefully not, that seems a little bit limiting to me.

You've been a big help so far and I appreciate.  When I get paid again (the 15th) I'll be dropping that donation your way.  Thanks againg for all of your help!

Last edited by JaceMan (06.01.2006 17:39)

oink, oink

#7 06.01.2006 18:48

Radek Hulán
Site Admin
Website

Structure of the page is directed by Skins. ExtraSkin is only a "helper", if more skins share the same header, you can create an ExtraSkin called "header" and share it in all your skins by calling <%ExtraSkin(header)%>. But Skins are key to design, not ExtraSkins. There are also Templates, which control how individual items are displayed within a Skin. In a Skin you say "show me 10 items using Template called default" via <%blog(default,10)%>.

#8 06.01.2006 22:02

JaceMan
Website

I find that quite confusing... I'm not sure if it is "harder" than what I'm used to or if it is just "unfamiliar."

Unfortunately, I think this is something that is going to take me a while to get the hang of doing/changing.  It's simply hard to unlearn what I've been doing for the last 3 years and learn something new... I guess we get set in our ways.

oink, oink

Board footer